Saturday, February 26, 2011

a day well spent

Today felt like a whirlwind mix of emotions. My sister and I visited my grandparents in Palm Desert and my aunt was also in from Oregon. I just got news a few days ago that my grandma (who I thought was in great health) was actually in the hospital with off and on debilitating back pain. After several hospital visits, it was found that my grandma has a staph infection in her spine. The risk is that the infection could spread to her heart if not properly and quickly treated. She has been put on antibiotics and from what I hear, the pain is lessening little by little as the days go on, though she is still in tremendous discomfort. We are all hoping that the antibiotics will get rid of the infection, but also that the pain may be gone sooner than later. Though it was heartbreaking to see her so uncomfortable, I am SO glad that Kristen and I were able to visit.

[Driving to Palm Desert in BEAUTIFUL weather; The flowers we bought for Grandma]

We were only in Palm Desert for 3.5 hours, since my grandma needed lots of rest. So, sister and I started driving back and decided to pull off at the Desert Hills Premium Outlets in Cabazon. Shopping!

When we got there, it was super cold. And THEN this happened:


As much as I would still love to believe it was snow, a friend kindly informed me that it was probably hail. But even so, I've lived in California almost all my life and can't remember ever being in a hailstorm. We loved it. And it was even better that most everyone was as excited as we were. People had their cameras and phones out, taking pictures and recording the craziness.

As Kristen and I were walking to my car, the hail started coming down much heavier and for several minutes, there was also thunder and lightning. It was crazy because you could still see patches of the blue sky and the sun as it was setting. Also, it was really fun when the hail smacked you in the face.

 
 [Braving the pain to get a picture with the hail. I know, we Californians are ridiculously dramatic; My poor car getting battered by the weather]
 
Thankfully, I made it back to Chino with nothing else eventful to report.

If I might ask, prayers for my grandma would be so appreciated. Firstly, that the doctors would have the wisdom and ability to figure out what is going on and that the antibiotics would cure the infection. Secondly, that she would be taken out of her discomfort. I know I often take prayer for granted and don't understand the power of it, but God sure loves to hear from us. I thank my sister for reminding me how God can use us to witness and love and pray for other people. Sister, thank you for your boldnes today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment