Tuesday, March 8, 2011

i can still say i've never broken a bone

I sprained my right ankle during work yesterday. I was playing basketball with the boys, during which one child was kneeling on the court to tie his shoe. I got the ball, turned around to run with it and he jumped up in front of me to block. Mmmm, probably not the best way to defend. I either tripped over or awkwardly collided with him, but all I knew is that my ankle was in INCREDIBLE pain. I hobbled away, breathing heavily and freaking out because it hurt so badly. I sat down and rolled around, unable to stay still because my pain level was so high. It was a pretty dramatic scene, but I don't think I've ever felt a pain that intense.

[See the bulge on the right side of my ankle?]

I tried to walk it off, ice it and stay at work the rest of the night, but I just couldn't. In tears, I talked to my friend and decided it would be best to see the doctor. So, I went to Urgent Care last night. A place I have grown to hate. The receptionist was SO rude, not even looking at me while she answered my questions. She also told me it was an hour and a half wait. Ugh, I should have stayed at work, is what I thought to myself. I killed some time by getting Starbucks across the street.

[A comparison of my good foot and bad foot. I think my right foot looks a little blue because it had been without a warm shoe for a while.]

Despite expecting a long wait, as soon as I got back to the waiting room, I was called in. Only a 20 minute wait. SHHHHWEEET! After going through the fun process of telling the doc what happened, getting an x-ray and waiting for reuslts, I was told that there was no fracture (phew!) but an ankle sprain. I can live with an ankle sprain. I was given an ice pack, a heating pad, pain meds, and an ankle brace. I was told I could still work, but with limited activity.

[Less pain = a happier me]

My ankle is still swollen and still sore. Even though it isn't pleasant, I'm thankful that I can still hobble around. And hey, I can still say I've never broken a bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment