Tuesday, November 9, 2010

a reminder

Tonight I went out to Applebee's with two friends, Hannah and Cleaster. Our waitress was nice, but seemed somewhat distracted. After Cleaster commented to the waitress that she had a pretty name, the waitress said, "I wish I felt pretty tonight." Cleaster asked her what was wrong and the waitress said that her cousin had just hung himself tonight.

I was shocked and couldn't think of anything I felt appropriate to say. Though it seemed really bold of her to say that to complete strangers (much less, her customers), I wonder if she just really needed to share that tragic news with someone else.

We don't know what some people are going through. This was a reminder to me that I need to be more patient, more understanding. Maybe I should give people the benefit of a doubt before I decide that they are annoying because I'm being inconvenienced. Selfishness is so ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment