Friday, November 27, 2009

turkey day '09

This was my first Thanksgiving in California in four years. Freshman year, I was in Illinois with family friends. Sophomore and Junior year, I was in Ohio. Senior year I was in Myrtle Beach with a friend and her family. Thanksgiving this year was weird. I was in California and the temperature was in the seventies. But the weirdest part about it was "giving" Thanksgiving instead of "getting" it. I was working yesterday and I was family to the girls in my cottage. My fellow houseparents and I were responsible for making yesterday feel like Thanksgiving for our girls.

In high school and college, the holidays were awesome because it meant a vacation from school and time with friends and family. This year, the holida looked a lot different. I worked for Thanksgiving and will probably be working on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. I'm the one bringing presents to the girls instead of receiving them. It is up to me and my co-workers to make the holidays special for my girls who won't be spending it with their families.

I feel a great burden this year. The holidays are supposed to be a time of happiness, but I'm not happy. I feel lonely. My heart goes out for the kids here who either don't have families to be with during the holidays or just can't be with them. Yet, I can also empathize with them. I understand how it feels to be left out. I pray that God gives me the desire to make the most of this holiday season, not only for me, but also for my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment