Thursday, May 19, 2011

a work in progress

MercyMe has a song called Bring the Rain.

I can count a million times
People asking me how I
Can praise You with all that I've gone through
The question just amazes me
Can circumstances possibly
Change who I forever am in You

I think it's so easy to be unhappy. It's so easy to think of everything I don't have and to wallow in sorrow about everything I'm going through. I was thinking today about how happy I would be if I found a job. I was thinking about how I would be so grateful that God opened a door and how I'd probably say something like, "God always provides."

And then I thought some more. Why does my gratefulness for God's provision and faithfulness only apply when I'm getting something I want, or something I think I need? If I believe in the truths of the Bible, I shouldn't only recognize God's hand in my life in the good, easy, "happy" times, but also the frustrating and confusing times.

I am Yours regardless of
The dark clouds that may loom above
Because You are much greater than my pain

It's a difficult battle and it takes a very intentional [an ongoing] decision to believe in God's goodness throughout all of life's circumstances. But if I choose to believe that God and His character is unchanging, then I want to live a life reflecting that.

1 comment:

  1. dang girl. that's so encouraging to hear. i want to live like that too.

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete